This seems like a reasonable request of a normal mother, but I'm not a normal mother. I don't sew. To me, sewing is equivalent to stubbing my toe--it fills me with rage. I avoid it at all costs. Therefore, I have no traditional sewing tricks up my sleeve.
I suspected that sewing wasn't my forte, but after working with the gown this week I have proven it! I stabbed myself with a needle at least 25,000 times and there are some pretty crazy things happening with the dress. Getting it fastened might require a user's manual (See Figure and Fastening Instructions Below).
Figure: Engineering Detail of Back of Gold Gown.
Gold Gown Fastening Instructions:
- Zip up gown to waist.
- Secure sides of zipper at waist using hook and eye.
- Stuff excess gold fabric under zipper at waist and around side of body.
- Secure excess gold fabric with Velcro strips.
- Wrap rope with sewn-on peplum around waist twice, making sure peplum is over back zipper.
- Secure rope in back by tying a bow.
Even if Tim Gunn invited me in person to be on Project Runway, after all the broken thread, broken needles, knots (in both the thread and my stomach), I would turn him down...unless he let me fill my dresses with solid rocket propellant and launch them.
At least Cinderella looks fabulous--once she is in the Chinese Puzzle Dress.
Cinderella and her Stepsister Backstage.